Please visit our COVID-19 Updates page for the latest information from the core and Harvard Medical School
The Microscopy Resources On the North Quad (MicRoN) facility is a new light microscopy core established by the Departments of Genetics and Microbiology and HMS as a decentralized or "floating" core. We have 5 different microscope rooms embedded within the two departments. We find that this model generates a greater interaction among trainees from the two departments and encourages a more collaborative environment. We are proud of working with the Departments of Genetics Microbiology and Immunology and would love hearing from you!
- Provide dedicated microscopy expertise to advise, train and assist users.
- Help users put the right microscope in their lives.
- Provide technical support and basic maintenance of our microscopes.
- Advice MBIB and Genetics departments of unmet microscopy needs.
Meet the Team
1. Training requirement: You only have access to equipment you have been trained on by a member of the MicRoN staff and currently have access to in your PMS account.
2. Acknowledgement agreement: The MicRoN is supported by Harvard University through a TnT grant. To help us with grant renewal, we ask users to please acknowledge the "Microscopy Resources on the North Quad (MicRoN) core at Harvard Medical School" in any publications or public presentations that contain data acquired or analyzed in the MicRoN core.
3. Record microscopy usage: You must log onto and sign out any MicRoN microscope computers using your PPMS credentials.
4. Booking and using the microscopes: Please, do not let another person use the time you have book under your name. Cancel your remaining session and ask other users to book the microscope. Please, never share your eCommons/PPMS credentials with other users.
5. MicRoN users are not authorized to train or allow others to use a microscope in the MicRoN core. Please, do not allow anyone to use the microscopes if they haven’t been trained by the MicRoN staff.
6. Reservation limitations: The reservation limitations for each microscope are described at the top of the microscope's PPMS online scheduling page. If you are in dire need for more time, please contact the MicRoN manager (email@example.com).
7. Cancellation Policy: You must cancel your session as soon as you know you don't need it. Cancelling less than 24h in advance results in the charge of 50% of the fee, unless the session is booked by another user. No-show sessions result in billing 100% of the fee.
8. Report problems: Please if you notice that a microscope is not working appropriately or if you are not sure how to use the equipment, please report it to the MicRoN staff. If you break a slide/coverslip/dish, or drip a liquid/solution onto any part of the imaging system, or in any other way may have caused damage, you must report the problem immediately. You will not be in trouble if you report an issue/possible damage, only if you fail to do so.
9. Please, do not change the equipment: Do not remove objectives, filter cubes, or any microscope part you are not authorized to. Same for installing software, or reconfiguring settings in the acquisition software.
10. Data Managment: Please note, microscope computers are not long-term data storage devices. Please back up your data into your server/hard-drive as soon as possible.
Microscopy Information and Education
Protocols and Sample Preparation
Recent Research and Publications